Thursday, February 18, 2010

There's Crazy and Then There's Crazy

Before I get to my Thai ramblings, I'd like everyone to know that the building hit by the plane in Austin was miles away from both where I live and work. To the best of my knowledge no one I know was directly affected by it - thanks for letting me know, Jenny! - and the monster kitty, while scared by the noise, is likely ok - thanks for looking in on him, Geoff. My prayers go out to the people who were affected by the crash.

*****

I am eternally grateful not to be driving myself anywhere in Thailand. Apparently, lanes are something that happen to other people here.

Mind you, all of the drivers that I have ridden with have been excellent - and not in the Rain Man sort of way. I feel perfectly safe as we merge and break off from the pack with utter disregard for the lines on the road and only minor regard for the posted road signs. The good thing is that all of the other drivers disregard the same rules and lines, making things mostly safe for those inside cars.

It also all explains why there are walkways above the street used to cross it, rather than people trying to walk across on ground level.

There will be pictures of this phenomenon later today. Just to share my easy unease. ;)

3 comments:

  1. Me too. Although I almost wish I could have been in Austin for Eliot today...

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more senseless tragedy. And Elliot will survive. He is an Orange.

    Can't wait to see the pictures. But always enjoy your words, too.

    ReplyDelete