Saturday, February 20, 2010

Every Cat has her Day

I figured out what was lacking in my Thai adventure last night - cats. I had seen plenty of friendly dogs wandering the street, but there was nary a feline in sight. Well, last night coming back to the hotel at the magic dusk hour, I saw many! They had spent the heat of the day sleeping, as anyone wise would do, and then came out to bask in the last of the sun before beginning their prowl. Sadly, I did not have my camera with me, so I cannot share them with you now. However, there will be more chances! :)

I do, however, have an amusing dinner picture from last night. This was my meal, thanks to 7-11 and a street vendor. And all of this for only about the equivalent of $1.25 US:

Photobucket

Today, I woke up far too early - which is when I've been waking up anyway, so *shrug* - and Headed out to the Khao Keeow Open Zoo. It should be mentioned that this is the second largest zoo in the world, with only San Diego being bigger. The morning, however, was dedicated to a zipline tour of the jungle around the zoo. After getting geared up:

Photobucket

we trekked out into the jungle. For me, this was the most strenuous portion of the morning fun. There were way to many steep portions of hill side for my comfort. Still, the views of the trees along the way were well worth it:

Photobucket

Once up into the trees, the fun really began! The group I was with was mostly composed of Russian tourists, but they were a fun group and really threw themselves into the experience:

Photobucket

And, just to prove that I really was up there, flying with the gibbons:

Photobucket

You can't see it, but there was a huge grin on my face the entire time. (More pictures may follow later, but this post is getting heavy already and I haven't even started in on the zoo yet!) One of the zip line guides decided that I was "very beautiful" and spent the entire time hitting on me and taking my picture. He also gave me his number, which was flattering and amusing all at once.

After we were back on solid ground again and had a light lunch, I set off on my own to explore the zoo. There was an awful lot of walking to do, but it was well worth it! Of course, not everyone agreed that the zoo was fascinating:

Photobucket

One of my favorite parts of the zoo was that most of the - non-predatory - animals were easy to get close to and see. Some even were available to touch - although, not being an animal lover on this trip (stupid rabies), I didn't touch. This elephant had a new calf and both were on display so that they could meet their public:

Photobucket

Me being me, I had to see the tigers as quickly as possible. I got to see two lovely beasts, but both were asleep. One reminded me very much of Eliot, who often sleeps with his tongue out as well:

Photobucket

Many vendors offer snake beans to feed to the various herbivores. The hippos, especially, seemed to love them:

Photobucket

On my way out, I stopped into the visitors center to ask about getting a taxi back to Chonburi. Naturally, there were even more animals there:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I asked at the information desk about getting a taxi and the gentleman there - Eddie - said that he would drive me back himself. I got into his very large truck - !! - and he brought me back to the hotel. He also gave me his card and said I should call him before I leave Thailand.

Apparently they like big white girls here. ;)

4 comments:

  1. LMAO! Lovely pictures! Thanks for sharing. :) Glad you're having a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha thats awesome!! Ok so I have questions. 1. how can you tell what flavor the chips are? 2. What was that about the rabies thing? Not being able to touch any animals..Love the blog thanks for the updates :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bree: 1) They have the flavors in English as well - thankfully! Those particular ones were nori seaweed flavor. Nom!

    2) Rabies is still rampant here, meaning that it is not advisable to pet random animals. Which makes me a sad panda... ;)

    ReplyDelete